For people like Valerie, who want to hear about the academic side of things, this post is for you. It probably won't be plastered with photographs, or be necessarily as long as some of the other posts, but it should tell you about my experiences so far.
Yesterday, as per appointment, I met with Dr. Patrick Healy, my academic advisor for the term. I found out that I was scheduled to take my Latin tutorial with Maarit Kivilo, but my other class was a problem: I had signed up to take "War and Politics in Classical Civilizations" (a tutorial of my own design). However, the man who was most qualified to teach it was going to be commuting in between Oxford and London for the duration of the term. While it was possible that he could see me on Fridays, it wasn't looking very good, so Dr. Healy asked me, in the event that Fridays didn't work out, if I'd like to take a second course with Maarit. I responded that that was fine, and asked what I could study with Dr. Kivilo. Among other things, he listed Plato's Symposium, Greek Tragedy and Homer's Iliad. Now I've done some work on the Symposium before, and enjoyed it, but wanted to try something new, so it was down to either Greek Tragedy or Homer. Having long had a desire to read Homer, but never the impetus to do so, I chose that.
After my meeting with Dr. Healy ended, I went home and promptly emailed Maarit about the Latin, feeling it wise not to bring up the second course until we knew for sure that ancient war/politics was out. She responded that we should meet the next day, and made some oblique references to the Homer course, which I interpreted (correctly, as it turned out) to mean that ancient war/politics was off the table. We arranged to meet in the cafe at Waterstone books this morning.
Dr. Kivilo is not at all what you'd expect from an Oxford Classics Professor. She's an Estonian woman of about twenty-five or thirty, with close-cropped, spiked blond hair and green glasses; a far cry from the stereotypical tweed-wearing, pipe-smoking, elderly English gentleman who has become the archetype for academia in general and British academia in particular. Regardless, she is very friendly and seems so far to be extremely knowledgeable and passionate about the material.
The set-up: Oxford Study abroad students will be taking two classes. For most courses, the student writes a decent-sized paper each week, and then, at the appointed time, student and Professor meet so that the Professor can intellectually tear the paper apart while the student attempts to defend his or her statements. Language courses are rather different; the student is assigned a reading to do for the following week, and then student and Professor go through the text and try to extract as much meaning as possible from it. So, less stressful than a regular course, but still arduous.
Because Maarit knows that my particular interest is in the more politically-oriented texts, she suggested Sallust as the text for Latin. I was fine with this, and said as much, and after we discussed which editions were acceptable, we moved on to the Homer course. I was pleasantly surprised to hear that rather than just Homer's Iliad we were going to be discussing both the Iliad and the Odyssey. The shocker was that I was to have them both read "as soon as possible" (read: ideally within two weeks). My brain reacted in a way similar to the Oxonians' reaction to the recent snow: a mixture of elation and panic.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
Thanks for the academic post.
ReplyDeleteBut I'm confused. Are you expected to read both texts in Greek in two weeks? You know it would take a performer days to finish each epic... and that's just reciting. You will have to elaborate on the exact situation.
If you have any choice about which trot to use, I say Fagles. There are probably other good ones; Keats was a fan of Chapman for example (wrote a poem about it). I just know Fagles really spoke to me.
Don't worry about the War and Politics not working out. You'll love Homer. And, as an added bonus, you'll be strengthening your Greek so that you can read Thucydides one day to get your fill of war and politics.
Bonam fortunam
Homer seems central to a decent Classics curriculum. Knowing your passion for reading, I don't think a book a week should be too overwhelming:)
ReplyDeleteI do hope the politics and war course you take during the Trinity term will include cultural exchanges with the "barberic" hinterlands! I'm sure they had an impact on the ways of one another...but you can worry about that next term.
"But I'm confused. Are you expected to read both texts in Greek in two weeks? You know it would take a performer days to finish each epic... and that's just reciting. You will have to elaborate on the exact situation."
ReplyDeleteAh, my mistake, I should have elaborated a bit more - luckily no, I don't have to read them in Greek. That would take me in excess of a year. I just have to read them in English. As of now, I've just completed the fourth book of the Iliad, and I agree, it's very good. I'm reading a translation by Martin Hammond, and while he puts it into prose, it still retains its poetic language. I'm noticing that he has some interesting habits with regard to the names - several of them are spelled in a way which is very atypical to our modern ears: for example, Ajax is Aias, Achilles is Achilleus and Athena is Athene. Interesting choices, and I think it lends a bit of the feel of Ancient Greek, making the translation even better.
I'm hoping to take Ancient Greek next term - I was going to take it this term, but I thought Oxford might expect me to already be proficient. As it turned out, I was wrong, since my Latin tutor came into this under the impression that I'd never taken Latin before. I think she was relieved that I could take more than baby steps.
"I do hope the politics and war course you take during the Trinity term will include cultural exchanges with the "barberic" hinterlands! I'm sure they had an impact on the ways of one another...but you can worry about that next term."
Likely not - as the title suggests, it will be focused mainly on War and Politics. Since I've already taken Professor Kadish's "The Rise and Fall of Rome" course, this course will likely be focused on the Hellenistic Kingdoms, and their interaction with Rome and other political entities. As far as I know, the Barbarians were at war with Greece far more rarely than they were with Rome - unless you count the Persian Empire as barbarian, which I don't think you are. Thus, I likely won't be spending much time on the Barbarians in this course - but it doesn't matter since you gave me that DVD course on Rome and the Barbarians.