Tuesday, January 5, 2010

Tomorrow...I mean today... is the day

Well, this is it - my last day stateside for six months. Times like this I start getting wistful. I'm not going to see this land for a long time. Or at least, longer than it's ever been (I think my record for spending time outside the USA is when I went to Canada once - it was less than 24 hours). I wonder who I'll be when I get back. Or what the world will be. Is there really any difference? The world we see is a reflection of ourselves, for how we process what we see is defined by our previous experiences. How will these new experiences affect my ideology, my understanding of existence? I don't know, but I both want to and don't want to find out.

The next time I write, I'll be in the Old World.

3 comments:

  1. From just a brief trip across the border to the edge of the world (from our Roman perspective of course), I salute your virtus sir.

    I think you'll find it's like Vince said in Pulp Fiction: "they got the same s*&% there we got over here but everything is just a little different." I hope you report on your discoveries of those little differences.

    And I hope you report on your academic pursuits. I know non classicists probably want to hear about punting and pubs and whatever else they do in Oxford, but I hope you share your scholarship with us back in the states as well.

    tutum iter, amice.

    Valerie

    ReplyDelete
  2. @ Sable - thanks!

    @ Valerie - I think Vince hit the nail on the head. Eg. try buying a liter of milk. It just doesn't look substantial at all. Also, I'll try to post about some of the scholarship, as soon as classes start.

    ReplyDelete